Regardless of which nursery you choose to take your child to, the days and weeks leading up to the start date can be daunting for both children and parents (especially new parents).
However, there are some thing that can be done before your little one starts to settle any nerves and prepare you and your child for nursery.
Tips for your child
- In the weeks before the term start date, get your child into a set routine for waking up, bed times and meal times.
- Find out what other local children will be in their class and arrange play dates before they start. Knowing that they already have a friend in the class will improve social skills and relax the child on their first day.
- Read with them every day to develop language skills and get them familiar with print.
- Take part in some structured activities such as puzzles, painting and drawing. This prepares them for the types of things they will experience at a nursery.
Tips for parents
- Give yourself plenty of time in the morning to get things ready. Maybe even get their bits ready the night before.
- Ensure your child knows the basics such as getting dressed, using the toilet on their own, and recognising their full name.
- Relax and have some ‘you time’ – take the time to do things that are made more difficult with a child. So long as you’re contactable, make plans and keep busy.
- Remember that the nursery is just as keen to have your child settle in well as you are.
We encourage group social activities that get children engaging with each other – many parents find that their children don’t want to leave at the end of the day.
Our vast experience makes it easy for toddlers joining our Peterborough nursery and our welcoming and familiar-faced team members are here to reassure your child. Do talk to any of our staff with any concerns that you may have, we’re here to help and will often provide a solution to any problems you may have.
If you are looking for childcare services in a day nursery in Peterborough, find out how Apricot Nursery can help you and your child — simply call us on 01733 390 969.